Glass fabrication is the manufacturing and assembling of glass and glass parts using a variety of materials and technical processes.
Read More: 10 Interesting Glass Facts
Glass Fabrication Materials
Common materials used in glass fabrication include silica sand, limestone, soda ash, quartz, magnesium oxide, aluminum oxide, aluminosilicate, borosilicate, dichroic, germanium, glass ceramic, sulfide, fluoride glass, and more.
Learn More: Glass Types Glossary
Glass Fabrication Process
Depending on the desired end result, glass fabrication can involve a variety of technical processes including engineering, machining, forming, encapsulation, beveling, extrusion, molding, and more.
- Engineering is involved in most every aspect of glass fabrication. An array of software technologies are used to provide many glass fabrication services.
- The use of precision machining is also used extensively throughout the glass fabrication process from start to finish.
- Forming, sometimes called bending, is accomplished by heating glass to a plastic state to be physical manipulated by hand or machine.
- Encapsulation, commonly used in automotive glass, involves injecting polymeric material around a glass insert for increased strength and protection.
- Beveling is the process of cutting the border of a piece of glass to create an angled surface around the edge.
- Extrusion, another technique used often in auto glass, creates a watertight seal between glass and another material (like the rubber around your windshield).
- Molding, also known as pressing, involves heating glass to a liquid state and pouring it into a mold so it solidifies in the shape of the mold.
Learn More: How is Tempered Glass Made?
Other Glass Fabrication Capabilities
- Digital printing & screen printing
- Glass cutting
- CNC Edging
- Glass coating and glazing
- Safety coating
- Anti-reflective coating
- CNC Milling
- Glass drilling
- CNC V-Grooving
- Double Edging
Read More: Sustainable Glass – Reuse and Recycle
Glass Fabrication Applications
Components of fabricated glass are used across a variety of industries including:
- Transit and automotive
- Heavy equipment
- Art and design
- Food services
The glass fabrication industry is constantly innovating and improving – the possibilities of glass are truly endless. At Techni-Glass, we have been perfecting our glass fabrication capabilities since 1997, and we’re committed to providing customers the highest quality glass products and services. If you’re ready to explore the possibilities of glass, let us know via the form below.