Since as early as the first century BCE, humans have been making glass, and we’ve been using it ever since. In the 21st century, the global glass industry continues to grow at a fast pace.
Here are 13 interesting statistics about the industry that manufactures the glass we use every day.
Read More: 10 Interesting Glass Facts
- In 2019, the flat glass global market value was $115.8 billion
- In the U.S. alone, the value of the flat glass market is expected to reach $44 billion in 2025, up from $22 billion in 2018
- China exports more glass than any other individual country
Read More: The Future of Glass
Glass Manufacturing Data
- Gross output of U.S. glass manufacturing between 1998 and 2016 was $26.7 billion
- Based on a 5 year annual growth rate of 2.9%, glass manufacturing revenue in the U.S. amounted to $31 billion in 2019
Read More: Glass Fabrication Explained
Glass Production Statistics
- Silica sand accounts for 73% of all raw materials used to manufacture glass
- The majority of flat glass production is used in construction, followed by the automobile industry
Glass Demand Trends
- In 2023, global demand for fabricated flat glass is expected to reach nearly $140 billion, over double what it was in 2008
- Highest glass demand comes from China, Western Europe, and North America
Read More: Sustainable Glass – Reuse and Recycle
Energy Efficient Glass Statistics
- The global glass industry recycled about 27 million metric tons of glass as of 2018
- In 2018, recycled glass made up about 21% of all glass production
- Container glass is the most recycled glass material
- In 2026, the global market value of energy efficient glass is forecasted to reach $17.8 billion
All statistics courtesy of Statista.